/* */

A Thai prison inmate got Covid-19 positive

4 Sep 2020

A male prisoner in Thailand tested for coronavirus and got positive. He was transferred from prison to a hospital run by the Corrections Department.

Health officials on Thursday evening announced that the infected man had worked as a night club DJ in Bangkok and at a coffee shop on Khao San Road.

People who were close to him were being tracked, but no other infections have been identified so far. People who didn't have direct contact with the man were not in the "high risk" group.

Health officials have been confident that the situation is under control.

Taweesilp Visanuyothin, a spokesman for the Covid-19 Condition administration office, said earlier on Thursday that the first Covid-19 disease test by the prisoner was positive.

According to the disease control Department, on Aug. 26, the convict, a 37-year-old man, was held at the Central Special Correctional Facility on drug charges among 34 other inmates and officials.

Mahidol University's first test on Wednesday showed that he was infected with the strain and was immediately transferred to the hospital that night.

The other 34 tests returned negative.

The Department of Disease Control obtained a sample from the patient for confirmation on Thursday for a second test to be performed by the Department of Medical Science.

The latest case breaks the 100-day run, where Thailand was not seeing any local infections.

Walailak Chaifu, the Epidemiology Bureau's director, said Tuesday the man showed symptoms, but it wasn't sure if it was Covid-19 before Thursday's test.

Before his incarceration, he stayed with five other family members at Ban Suan Thon condominium in Bang Mod. All were placed in quarantine. She added that they are in a risk group.

Dr. Walailak said the man worked as a DJ around Rama III and Rama V areas at 3 Days 2 Nights bar and restaurant. A press release from the Department of Disease Control said he also worked at a coffee shop on Khao San Road.
And who had no direct patient contact were not in the high-risk group.

Officials are monitoring the circumstances of about 20 people, including his lawyer, who were with him at trial.

Director-General Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoen of the Department of Disease Control said the new local outbreak was not the beginning of the second wave, and he was sure the situation could be kept under control.

"If we keep the situation under control, then no new outbreak will occur," he said.

Dr. Suwanchai has appealed for calm and has urged people not to lower their guard against the disease.

Source: Bangkok Post