- Koh Samui
- Koh Tao
The culture of Russia and Thailand is very different. Different climate, food, traditions... You can see hundreds of interesting features and behaviours of local residents. In this article, made by a Russian herself, we will present 10 of them according to the observations of travelers coming to the land of smiles.
2. Local people are very respectful towards each other and are always welcomed with palms of hands joined together. Hands held at different levels depending on the status of the person who is welcomed. Also done when they see a statue of Buddha.
Russians can simply say "Hello", men almost always greet with a handshake, Russians usually hug each other with closer friends and relatives.
3. Before arriving in the country, you can learn that the Thais are very religious and this is true. Approximately every hundred meters you can find a spirit house, they make offerings of flowers, fruits, and water. Their territory is thoroughly washed and not allowed to be in desolation, because the well-being of a person and his family depends on it.
Most Russians do not make offerings and do not believe in spirits, but in some regions there are rituals similar to Thais. For example, among the ethnic groups of Siberia. Most Russians come to church on holidays and light their food; only some Orthodox people read prayers daily.
4. Thais are very fond of tasty food, it is difficult to find people who do not. But it is here that a very diverse cuisine for every taste. A vegetarian, a lover of seafood and fish and ones who prefer meat, will find his dish. Thais have surpassed many in the art of cooking street food, which you can easily eat along the way. Thais do not cook at home very often, as you can always have a tasty and inexpensive meal at a cafe or buy ready-made food at the market.
Russians also like tasty food very much, but almost everyone cooks at home and rarely eats outside. Because there is almost no street food in the country. And not such a variety of products, as in Thailand.
5. People do not give live flowers as much. At one celebration, children performed with armfuls of flowers, but artificial ones, were carried to them. Perhaps it symbolizes eternal life.
In Russia, they often give each other flowers, and artificial flowers are left on the graves of the dead.
6. Thais accept money with great gratitude. They are always happy and thankful. They can say "thank you" not only with words, but also with a slight bow. There is a feeling that they meet money as dear guests. I think that bills with joy go to such grateful people.
Russians can simply say "Thank you" or accept money without further ado.
7. Another feature is that people take off their shoes, such as places like the entrance to the temple, sometimes shoes can be seen in front of cafes or other rooms. Although there is no dirt on the streets and it is generally quite clean, Thais prefer to leave their shoes at the entrance.
In Russia, in temples, in cafes usually do not remove their shoes. Shoes are removed only when they come to their homes.
8. Thais are very diligently doing their job, whatever they do. It seems that they can cut fruit all day, cook food on the grill or pay attention to visitors.
Sometimes Russians can work in an unloved job, and customers and other visitors feel this.
9. At concerts, before going on stage, lips are painted not only for girls, but also for five-year-old boys)
In Russia, only women paint lips.
10. In Thailand, buy bottled water, or buy it in machines. For one and a half baht - one and a half liters. From natural sources, water is not drunk.
In Russia, tap water is often filtered; in some regions, it is drunk from the tap or collected from natural sources.